Marina - In-state borrowing
If we do not own a specific item, it can usually be found via Marina(a free method of requesting items from other Maryland public libraries). Please keep in mind that materials obtained via Marina may take a week or two to arrive. For instructions on how to use Marina, see the Marina help section below.
Before placing a Marina request
- Check our catalog first. Titles owned by CCPL may not be requested through Marina.
- Audiovisual materials are lent by some, but not all, libraries in Maryland.
- Only items that are currently checked in are eligible to be requested.
- Reference materials and magazines may not be requested. Please check our premium databases for magazine and journal articles.
- Marina items may be renewed one time for an additional three week period, after which they must return to their owning institutions.
How to place a Marina request
- Log in to the Marina site by entering your Carroll County Library card number in its entirety without spaces.
- Click the 'Login' button
- Enter search terms in the search bar
- Click 'Search'
- Scroll down the search results to find the item you are interested in requesting
- Click on a title to find out more information and availability of the item
- An item is able to be requested if under the 'Marina Availability' column it states 'Requestable'
- If the item is requestable, select a pickup location from the dropdown menu
- Click 'Request'
Reviewing your Marina requests:
Select 'My Account' from the top menu
- Pending - The owning library is checking its shelves.
- Shipped - The item has been sent but has not yet reached Carroll County.
- Received - The item has been received and will be available for pickup soon.
- Returned - The item has been returned to the loaning library.
- Unfilled - The item is unavailable through Marina.
Marina requests will not appear in your Carroll County account requests until the item has been received at CCPL Headquarters.
Please contact us if you need to cancel a request placed through Marina
Interlibrary Loan - Nationwide borrowing
If you are unable to find materials via Marina, a request can be made from Maryland academic libraries and out-of-state libraries. Materials obtained from out-of-state libraries may take longer to arrive depending on availability and delivery methods. Many types of materials can be requested through interlibrary loans; however, many institutions do not lend new or audiovisual materials. There may be additional fees (you will be contacted prior to ordering for approval) from out-of-state loaning libraries. Fees are payable at the time of pick up. Please consult with a librarian at your local branch or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to place an Interlibrary Loan request.